Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Unrealised Dream

The first few minutes on the first day of school were always spent in introductions. While some teachers were happy knowing just the names of their new students, others wanted to know their parents’ names and their occupations. Some were curious to find out what each kid dreamed to be when she was older, and sometimes why the chosen profession. It was evident from what most of my classmates said, that medicine and engineering were the preferred courses even back then.

I can’t remember what I said before I got hooked to film magazines. But after I started devouring film gossip from the glittery Startdusts and Filmfares, I was sure what I wanted to be. A journalist, as my brother had told me. What a life, they led, these journalists, I thought! They get to meet all the glamorous film stars that we can only dream of, sometimes in their lavish homes too. They certainly must have several pictures taken alongside the stars. What luck! Imagine, I’d get to do what I loved doing – write and also meet all the stars for free. This profession was made for me!

Soon, my cousins and my own brother, who always had a word of advice for their sis, said film journalism was not that great. I had to be a political journalist if I had to be taken seriously. That way, I could expose corrupt politicians and unearth ugly scams. The rich and the famous would be scared of me. Wow!

And then in high school, one teacher told me that I didn’t have to be a journalist, in order to write. I could pursue a ‘more suitable’, which probably meant more lucrative career and still write. Free lancing it was called. My biggest influence, my brother, couldn’t agree more. “You should take up Engineering. You can do a course in journalism after that if you still want to”, he said. I gave in half-heartedly.

I would peep out of the BTS bus window and look wistfully at the “Asian school of Journalism” on my way to school and back. And I would tell my mom that journalism was where my heart was. Being the more dynamic of the two, she once went to the school and enquired, to be told that they only offered post-graduate courses. We made a pact between us. I would graduate, in Arts like I wanted to, and then come back and take their entrance test. I would surely clear it and go on to study journalism. And I would be a journalist.

My mom was gone a few years after that and with her that childhood dream of mine. Today, the pact remains a memorable conversation between the two of us. And I constantly wonder if I should live it out for her...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thts true.....evn at times i used to feel all good 'bout this challenging job of journalism... It used to fascinate evn me at times.....But the hidden fact is tht one has to be extremely brave n diplomatic to exist in this job.....I guess u r very diplomatic....it wont be a big deal for u :-) U deff can try for it evn now if u still feel tht u always came here(were born) to do it...u know....if tht kichau still exists......:-)

Anonymous said...

If u read Ramya's and Sudhish's blog, you will envy them. They watch movies and are getting paid for that.

Anonymous said...

Nice post. Makes you feel sometimes, what if...

Feeling that right now.

savitha said...

i would have easily gone the engineering way but for good advice and intuition that I could never make it as an engineer. all through high school, wanted to be a journo and am one now, and am happy i didnt get into engineering!!!

Gowri said...

Shreyas: Agree with you, courage and diplomacy are important qualities in a journalist. But did u say I'm diplomatic?? No one's ever told me that Shreyas, now I'm wondering if I really am..! And I quickly conclude that I'm not. BTW, do u see that in some way, courage and diplomacy are opposite traits??

Gowri said...

Balaji: Read their blog quite often and yes I envy them....but u know what I'd rather be, if at all I become a journo now? A restuarant reviewer!! :)) Yummmmm :)

Sangeetha: Please elaborate :) What if....??? :)

Gowri said...

Karthik: Wow Karthik! Ppl say it takes guts to give up ur feild of study and take up something new altogether...but if you really know what you want to do and r ureself convinced of ur potential, it's more abt just taking the first step. It helps that you make that decision early in life too. You know, you give me Hope...

Gowri said...

Savitha: Looks like the opposite of what happened to me, happened to you!! :) Hey, somehow, it has a lot to do with how stable you are when it comes to life's ambitions too..somehow, mine always kept changing. I probably would have ended up being a journo if I hadn't weighed the pros and cons as much as I did. As long as I do that, I'll stick to the oft-trodden path :(

Sinfully Pinstripe said...

please do.

What will be the best though is if you become a writer.

Anonymous said...

Raghu Belvadi

I have always dreamed of being able to express my feeling and thoughts beautifully in words. I used to read these articles especially from Readers Digest and wonder if I could ever write so well .....
Gowri,
You have that ability to express yourself very well in the form of writing and you seem to do it in such a way that it rings a chord in every one's heart. Honesty and a flair for writing comes through in all your articles. How else can you explain so many comments to your article?!!!
I would say that you should take up any profession that would use your skill of writing.

Gowri said...

Murali: Not at all...in fact that is the reason I'm not able start on it...I just don't feel like doing it anymore..

Gowri said...

Shom: For you, I should do it!!!! :)

Gowri said...

Raghu: Thanks Raghu! I will..I will..