Friday, February 04, 2005

Then and There


I miss going to Commercial street, at 3.00 in the afternoon, to shop, to avoid the evening rush.
I miss going to the Ganesha temple near my house, when I needed to pass an exam.
I miss going to Soumya’s house, a 5 min walk from my place, whenever I felt like going.
I miss her mom’s kajjaya and khara avlakki - with garlic in it.
I miss calling up Brinda and talking for hours, even though we were always relieving the same moments over and over.
I miss the unexpected guests, dad’s friends, Deepu’s friends, and making coffee for them and hunting for some snacks to accompany the coffee.
I miss Sethu, dropping home almost every evening, and regaling me with stories about cricket matches and trying to get me interested in cricket.
I miss going to Rekha’s house for Sweety’s (her pom) birthday. (She will protest on my calling Sweety a Pom, she insists it’s a different breed, whose name I cannot remember)
I miss advising Varun, my young and enthusiastic upstairs neighbor, on the best books to buy for the next semester.
I miss meeting up with Dipti and catching up on the latest gossip about her classmates and lecturers.
I miss going on a morning walk with Sahana, which was more of a stroll; for we were more interested in talking, than in burning calories.
I miss Soumya’s advice on just about everything under the Sun.
I miss anna’s kobri mithai, made of Kobri (desiccated coconut), instead of kayi (fresh coconut); just because the name said so !!
I miss going all the way to Sheshadripuram, with Deepu to have the best chaat made on a pani puri gaadi.
I miss the alu bonda from “namma bondada angadi”, next to the Friends’ Library.
I miss the people, the streets, the autos, the tastes, the smells and the sights of Bangalore.

I MISS Bangalore !!

Honestly, with all that, I never had the time to jot it down while I was there. You know why I love my life here? That’s why !

4 comments:

the k factor said...

I miss Banglaore too...
Masala Dosas, gaadi chat, 4th block...

Gowri said...

yeah....all of that. I also miss the autos a lot. No matter where you are and where you want to go and at whatever time, an auto will take you there. At a price, and mostly at an unfair price ! It's something all of us, who are paranoid about driving, miss, I think.

Anonymous said...

u are rite gowri....
i missing bangalore tooo...

the hot sambhar prepared by my ajji...umm..simply amasing...
the masala dosa at vidhyarthi bhavan in gandhi bazaar...
shopping junk jewellery..and bargaining for foot wears at comercial street...

waw...how i miss bangalore...

Gowri said...

Anonymous: Yeah, we all do don't we. To add to that list, hot 'jola' in the rain, the sight of the magnificent Vidhana Soudha, all the darshini's with their super efficient sevice, the autos! wowww Bangalore is heaven!! :-)