Sunday, January 09, 2005

I did it!

Finally! Someplace to put my thoughts other than my head. My husband created my blog today, something he has been wanting me to do from when he was just a friend.

Its 1:00 pm now and we are wondering what to have for lunch. I long to have hot 'tili saaru anna with tuppa'. oh how i loved that when my mom made it for me just after i had recovered from the flu! Its a feast, after having bread and milk for three full days. I remember how i would dream of having Peas Pulav, Nan with Paneer matar when i would be down with fever, and how my mom would promise to take me to Swathi hotel as soon as I recovered. But the day i recovered, i would get hot Upma with ghee for breakfast and Upma for a change would be the most delicious food. In the afternoon it would be 'hand mixed and hand fed' anna-saaru, with a little bit of pickle. Curdrice was forbidden till the next day. Oh how i wish to have all that!

I love to live in the past. whenever i write anything it has to have a bit of the past in it. But I love yesterday more than i do today and i now feel that in a way it means life has been good. We crib about each day being so monotonous and life being so boring, but as we grow old we cherish those very days. why dont we appreciate it while we have it? Beats me!


1 comment:

Gowri said...

Se,
Swathi brings back a lot of memories to me as well. I went there first when i was in the 3rd or 4th class. North Indian food had not caught on so much then and very few families went out to eat in restaurants. We would go, i think once a month or maybe twice. I loved the Veg Biriyani there, the orange-red coloured rice, with grean peas and chopped beans popping out of the rice to give it a nice contrast and the dressing of sliced tomatoes and grated cheese and corriander on top made it hard to resist! The gravy that accompanied the Biriyani was as good as the main dish itself if nit better.
I remember, mom never ordered any main course, she just ordered a 'gud-bud' ice-cream, her favorite and now mine too. when we protested saying she could not start the meal with the dessert, she'd silence us though unsuccessfully, saying she would anyway have to eat our left-overs and that was enough of a main course! But we were quite certain when we placed the order that we were hungry enough to eat a horse, and told her to chnage her mind because we were goign to eat everyhting this time. we never did.