Saturday, March 12, 2005

Homemaker v/s Housewife

State of mind: Agitated.

They draw as far as the dictionary is concerned. But, if I were to define a married woman who stays at home, who does not have a paid or unpaid occupation outside of home, using one word; housewife it would be. This also happens to be the reason why I’ve decided to replace the more sophisticated and more pseudo “homemaker” in my user profile with this word.

All women make homes. Do housewives make it any better that they are called that? I don’t think so. My mother had a full-time job and she managed the home just as well as the ones who stayed at home, sometimes better and never worse. She never got to call herself a “homemaker”. Why me?

State of mind: Relaxed = Rational.

All married women have, by default, one steady job – that of managing the household, also called homemaking, which goes unstated, if they have yet another job.
If all “working women” started stating this job explicitly, we would have in the space provided for occupation, “doctor, homemaker”, “lawyer, homemaker”, “teacher, homemaker” and so on. So for a married woman who has a career, the homemaker part goes without saying.
On the other hand, what should the unemployed housewife call herself? “Jobless”? “Unemployed”? She chooses not to. She embraces this default job of homemaking as the primary one and uses the term “homemaker” to describe her occupation instead of the simple and crude “jobless”. Fair enough? Yes, for me.
Also a good enough reason to retain the debated term in the user profile. :-)

4 comments:

Gowri said...

Similar thoughts crossed my mind when I used the words "working women". Made me wonder why it is considered redundant to use "working" and "men" together, while it is perfectly ok to say "working women".
Also, you are right, the term "homemaker" was probably born out of insecurity more than anything else.

Anonymous said...

Interesting, this post! I've always described my wife as a homemaker as it is connotes more - in terms of emotions - than merely a functional one as an "housewife" and the domestic chores that invariably entail. Perhaps, I'm just a senti? Your call.
PS: Can I link to your blog fm mine? You too, Karpagam?

Gowri said...

You sure can Ravi. Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the info.

I'm ready to get my house in order and found a good start here.

Thanks,
fast dog recipes