Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Save the Earth; start with Bangalore!

Much has been said about Bangalore’s roads and the unnerving traffic. We do little else than point a finger at the inefficient government, the corrupt officials, the builders who do not stick to the time-lines and the understaffed traffic police force. I agree that all of them are to blame for the sad state of affairs in the city today and are answerable to the tax-payer for their apathy in this regard. But I have to add that we are responsible too. If we complain about the traffic, we must realize that our bikes and cars are part of it too. If we complain about pollution, our vehicles are emitting the thick black smoke too. If we complain about indiscipline, we must remember that sometimes we break rules too.

I travelled on Hosur road to get to Electronic City for close to a year and have to agree that each day, it was a frustrating one and a half hour's journey to get to work. When I peered out of the window I saw that more than the trucks that we conveniently blamed, which actually belonged to this particular road, it was the two wheelers and cars that were the culprits. While the two wheelers broke all rules to make their way through the narrowest of paths in the maze of traffic to get a few inches ahead, the cars sat comfortably and honked.

Now, why didn’t these people take the company buses like all others? If ten people were to travel by bus, it would mean ten cars less. Considering the space one car occupies, that’s a lot of space saved. But they wouldn’t do that; would they? They want to sit in the comfort of their air conditioned cars to shut off the polluted air and curse the rest of the traffic while they are to blame more than the trucks and the buses.

Yet another thought. How many of us think of taking the BMTC buses when we have to go out? If a dozen of us does it, it’s a dozen vehicles off the road. But for most of us it is a shame and below our dignity to travel by bus. We all assume that the buses never ply as per schedule, are slow, crowded, dirty, what not! Have we tried? I have and let me tell you that if you can manage to get a seat, which is not too difficult, it is the best way to commute! It is safe, economical, and more comforatble than a ride on a bike. Now you might argue that it is time consuming and in the busy life one leads today half an hour is a lot of time. A lot of time for what? Some more sleep? Another show on Television? Another page or two in the newspaper? Well, you could do that while you sat in the bus. The problem is we are not willing to try. We do not believe that one of us can make a difference. “Little drops of water make a mighty ocean” is easy to preach, but too difficult to practice.

I urge each one of you to give it a try. Take the BMTC bus whenever you can. Save the auto fare for better things. Take the company bus even if you can afford to travel by car. Walk short distances. Set a trend. Help save the city we all so love! Will you? :-)

5 comments:

Gowri said...

Oh yes. Also, I don't understand why they still have the red-amber-green to start; it's time they did away with the amber, now with the timer couting down the seconds.

...and hold your head up high and take the bus!!

Anonymous said...

Jesus! With every post of yours, Gowri, you stun me, with their relevance to me! When I was in Bangalore around 2 years back, my wife (ok, my better half!) would always travel in BMTC buses and boy, did I laugh at her then? For reasons of cost and because as you say "...it is the best way to commute! It is safe, economical, and more comforatble than a ride on a bike." Today, in Chennai, i've swallowed my pride and travel in MTC buses daily (also to avoid the pollution and crowds!)which, though they are cheap and criss-cross the city, they are not a patch on the BMTC buses, in terms of efficiency, comfort and plain looks! I could cry buckets too about the state of the bus-stops here! If and when I relocate to my beloved Bangalore of yore, I will travel by BMTC, even if I own a car! I promise you! :)

Gowri said...

Lakshmi I agree with you that it is not a good idea to take the bus when you are pressed for time and it is most convinient to be self reliant. All I am saying is that, people who can, should do it when they can. At least they should be open to it.

For example, when you have to get to a friend's place and you are not really in a hurry and can afford to be a few minutes late, you can take a bus instead of an auto. In this case, let go 2 or 3 crowded buses, which I agree one has to during peak hours.
Another example would be the retired folk, the ones who are fit enough to take the bus can do so; it's much safer than riding a two-wheeler for them.
People who have fixed work schedules(I know this is one of the primary reasons this option is not feasible in the profession you are in). I have observed that most of the early morning buses are punctual and these people could take them, so also college-goers and school kids.

I am merely saying one should not rule out this option based on hear-say. I know we have a long way to go as far as public transport is concerned, but if the educated lot, people who can voice their opinion lead by example and experience problems first-hand, it might be the first step towards solving problems.

PS:Regarding autos, we all hate them but would prefer them to the bus on any given occassion. The reason-speed, the same reason we hate them when we are not sitting in them asking the poor driver to race past the traffic. Ironic, isn't it?


Ravi: You may be right. We take too many things for granted and realize their worth when they are no longer available; the BMTC buses being a case in point. I'm sure you will love them, after having travelled in the MTC buses!

Anonymous said...

This is for Karpagam - for her comment that "Public transport in Bangalore sucks!" Perhaps she should come over here to Chennai and try public transport for a few days. Perhaps this is a good time..considering its Summer! I'd love to see her reaction!
But, folks, hopefully, our city fathers will do a really damn good job with the Bangalore Metro. It will prove to be the blessing for many over there. For all I know, it might be the only reason why I may come back to Bangalore in what 4-5 years time? Inshallah! :)

savitha said...

Hey ravi, gowri..for someone who's missing bangalore so much, your post/comments are manna from heaven..