Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Say a Saying

Proverbs were an essential part of my growing up; thanks to my mother. She had one for every occasion. Lessons were taught and principles were laid down, through proverbs, rather than lengthy sermons. So much so, that when I think of my mother today, I don’t remember the exact words that she said when I was reprimanded, only the proverb that ended the admonition.

The one that was used on me most often was, “Gidavaagi baggaddu maravaagi baggeethe”. When translated it means, “That which will not bend as a sapling, will it bend as a tree?” !!
I was always asked to do odd jobs around the house and with the perfectionist mom that I had, the job had not only to be finished perfectly, and in the least time possible, but also done in a particular way!! I would stubbornly declare that I would do it my way for now and learn to do it her way when I was older. What did I get at the end of my compelling argument? The good old proverb and often its meaning – If you don’t learn when you are young; chances are, you won’t when you are older. So, start practicing now.

I got to hear many more over the short period of time my mother and I interacted with each other. When I came home a sore loser, blaming everything and everyone from the mike to the judge who slept while I spoke, I got to hear “Naach na jaane, aangan teda”. That put an end to my cribbing. When we heard a story of a greedy guy who lived beyond his means and suffered later, it was “Haasge iddashtu kaal chaachu”. Lazy to mend your clothes and will make do with a safety pin? “A stitch in time saves nine”. When I refused to run an errand, on the pretext that I wasn’t sure of my way around the place, “Kannu kurudaadre baayi kuruda?” it was. You may be blind, but not dumb; so be bold, girl; ask your way around. She even had one proverb commending proverbs, placing them above the Vedas in terms of relevance and the simple truths they stood for - "Veda sullaagabahudu, Gaade sullaagalla". So generous doses of proverbs it was, everyday.

When I look back now, I realize that somewhere along the way, with repeated usage, these little words of wisdom stopped being mere proverbs and became a way of life. They became principles we adopted, ideals we lived by; shaping our personalities by way of conditioning our thought process. I believe strongly in the underlying meaning of each of them and use them liberally in speech and writing today. I do not know if my mother intended for them to have such an impact on us when she used them, but if she did, she would be happy to know that it certainly has. It's no longer just a proverb or gaade or muhaavra, it's a legacy that I will proudly pass on to my children.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Superb article!!! Beautifully written.
It really captures the essence of proverbs. I was not so fortunate to hear a lot of proverbs from my parents though I did read a book containing a good collection of Kannada proverbs. I really liked the simplicity with which the deeper meanings of life are conveyed through proverbs.
"Haasge iddashtu kaal chachu", "Kai kesaradare Bhai mosaru", "Bellige iruvudella Hal alla' are some of the proverbs that I could relate to easily and recollect at this moment.

Raghu

savitha said...

hey! i remember my mom using the 'gidavagi baggaddu maravage baggeethe' a lot too when we were kids..nice post..we seem to have a lot in common :-)

Gowri said...

Thanks everyone, glad you liked the post and could identify with it in some way.

It would be interesting to trace the origin of proverbs. I suspect many of them were coined by simple folk from their experiences in life; which is also the reason why they are a store house of wisdom.

There may be many sayings which may not be documented and are in the danger of being lost. The only way we can ensure their survival and hope for the generations to come to beneift from them is by using them in our conversations, especially with children.

So, start now. :-)

Gowri said...

Hey Lak,
Didn't know what it meant, went and checked it out. Good one, will remember it.:-)

Sinfully Pinstripe said...

That was an absolutely wonderful post..... hats off....

I have noticed that these reminiscing posts bring the best out of your writing.... not that the others are bad in any way :p

And as an aside, my mom used to bombard me with sanskrit shlokas.... and I was so terrified of them that a)even with a mom who has a real good understanding of sanskrit, all I know of the language is Karmanyevadhikaraste... and b) whenever I hear any sanskrit, I tend to run away...

Gowri said...

Hey Shomo,
Thank you!! :-)
Waiting for a new post to appear on your blog; it's been a long time since "The man-eaters of Tsavo" :-)

Anonymous said...

Me is back here, after my travels!!! Lovely post, Gowri. While I could recall some which I was told, if I just tried, the one which my maternal grandfather always told me was this : " Do your duty, everything will follow". It could not have been more apt when I think about its applicability to my present circumstance(s) in life! He's no more now but his presence will always be with me! :)

Gowri said...

Thanks Ravi.
People die; but their words remain long after they are gone.

Sanj said...

nice article - ondh thara flashback aaithu :-) I think I'll try and dig up some more gaadhegaLu! ...the thread in orkut was a good too actually

Gowri said...

Yeah Sanj, the thread in Orkut had loooots of gaades.

Anonymous said...

Hey gowri,
A very nice article...... swear my mom too uses a lot of them everyday...the one she uses a lot is "maneli adagdiddu oralli adagthanthe" ( means u wont listen to me now but a time will come when u will have to listen to some one) the reason is half the time i fight with her for whatever she asks me to do :-)

Gowri said...

Deepthi, ella strict ammandru hange ansatte, baydiddu saalalla anta gaade bere heltaare...but amel gnaapaskotya nodu :)