Wednesday, May 18, 2005

From Here to Nowhere

I wash the dishes, press your clothes.
Lay the bed and knead the flour.
Serve the sick, play with your kids;
Shop for food and guard the door.

What lovely bangles, madam you wear.
That saree you are in, it’s beautiful I swear.
Such clean hands; and such smooth heels;
Your skin is fair, and silky, your hair.

Stay indoors, you’ll turn fair,
Of rough hands, work will take care.
You’ll be like madam, one day not far;
A house of your own, with kids and your man.

I wait for that day,
When he’ll take me away,
From the dirt and the slime,
To someplace sublime.

Now I wash my own clothes and mop my own floor.
Raise his children and guard my door.
He comes home at night, a madam in tow
He shoves me away, where do I go?

Ma, what of your promise?
And what of my dreams?
Smooth hands, fair skin...
You told me I’d win.

6 comments:

Gowri said...

"En Purushan Enakku Mattumthan" haven't seen the movie, but I now know enough Tamil to translate the title...something like "Mera Pati sirf mera hain" right? :)

And I thought my saga of a poor domestic help was very original! :(

The second point, I agree with you, it would have been more effective if it were written in a vernacular language. This looks more like a translated work.

Anonymous said...

i think it would be something of an uphill task for gowri to try and write stuff in kannada.
anyway,i am not sure if she can manage to read,let alone write in kannada fluently.
how about brushing up ur kannada for a change,u can start by reading the online version of prajavani or kannadaprabha or it asking too much.
i dont understand tamil so dont know what ur friend was going on about.
anoop.

Gowri said...

For your kind information Mr. Anoop, I have written several poems in Kannada, if you remember anything from our childhood at all...I have also won prizes in debates and creative writing in Kannada, not in school but in inter-collegiate competitions...
BTW, anything you have written in Kannada and anything u have read apart from Praja Vani and Kannada Prabha?? And who abandoned his Mathru Bhasha and took Sanskrit to score marks? You or me??
Easy to talk, try DOING something!

Anonymous said...

Very sad, actually. All my life, I've seen maids toiling away; do we really value their contribution, I wonder!

Anonymous said...

yes,now i think i remember.i do read kannada apart from the above mentioned papers.
what do u mean by asking me to do something,just felt like leaving a comment in response to ur article.why do u take it so seriously.u r being too touchy.

i know what u meant when u told about people hurting u,its me,isnt it.
if thats what u feel,its ur impression.guess u dont comprehend how much i luv u.
i keep bragging to everyone about u,and this is what u think about me.
well,guess its a no win situation fer me.
anoop.

Gowri said...

Right Ravi, I feel really sad for these people too. But it is heartening to see some mothers keep their children away from housework and send them to schools, in the hope that they may lead better lives.