Monday, May 09, 2005

Poem? ho-hum.

I stopped writing poems,
Many years ago;
When a friend gently hinted,
That poems were not for me;
I’ve made a new beginning,
But I know I’m still as bad,
It doesn’t matter; does it?
It’s only just a start! :O)

Now, here's the actual poem:

Reflection
The face in the mirror,
No, that’s not me.
Those fine lines of age,
Those visible strands of grey,
The sorrow in those eyes,
No, it can’t be.

A baby in your arms,
A face in the crowd,
Small triumphs,
Great joys,
Sometimes bound,
Sometimes free.

I stop to look back,
On life that has been.
I’ve come very far,
My companions all gone,
When did they stop?
Oh! When did they leave?

The pale, wrinkled cheek,
The mist in those eyes,
The tremble in the hands,
Who is this I see?
Tell me it’s not me.
Oh! Tell me it’s not me.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wah wah wah wah!
Its you...:)

Gowri said...

Of course! :)
I know it was a terrible attempt!

Gowri said...

Thanks Murali.

May not be as dramatic as the poem makes it seem, but the hectic lives that we lead today may bring us to this stage at some point.

I wrote it after it suddenly dawned on me that it's three years since we graduated! How time flies!

Baejaar said...

"Poetry is the music of the soul, and, above all, of great and feeling souls."
- Voltaire

How about expressing yourself without caring for others views?

So just sketch your thoughts, peper them with lyrical words and saddle them with style and elegance. Not every work will be appreciated by everybody but atleast somework will be appreciated by somebody.

After all beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

Gowri said...

Murali: Especially liked this part in the song -
"You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you

No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun"

Though I was saying a hectic lifestyle could result in something like this, a sedentary lifestyle is just as dangerous! Even more perhaps?

Bejaar: You are right :) Wish I could do that consistently, am trying to.

Prashanth M said...

The introductory lines itself are nice... don't stop keep writing...

Prashanth M said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gowri said...

Thanks Prashanth, will definitely keep writing poems.

Anonymous said...

hey gowri.... tumba chennagide kane.... ya time reallly flies.... now a days we dont even meet our frens whom we used to spend more than 10hrs at college :-( hmm nice attempt and do keep writing

Gowri said...

Deepthi, good to see you here and thanks kane.. :)